Erla S. Árnadóttir is among the country’s leading experts in the fields of IP and IT law. She studied corporate law and copyright law at a postgraduate level at the University of Oslo Faculty of Law from 1983 to 1984 and was a grantee at the Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition in Munich from 1988 to 1989.
Ms Árnadóttir has dealt with a variety of issues in the fields of IP and IT law. These include the preparation of various IP agreements; protection of the interests of numerous companies, government agencies and individuals regarding the establishment and use of different IP rights; registration of trademark and domain name rights; and litigation arising from breach of copyright, trademark and trade name rights. Ms Árnadóttir has been active in consulting for start-up companies of various kinds and has assisted numerous start-ups with their trademark strategies.
Admitted to practice before:
- The Supreme Court
- The Appeal Court
- The District Courts
- LEX from 2000
- KPMG og KPMG attorneys 1984 – 2000
- Supreme Court Attorney 1994
- Attorney at Law 1986
- University of Iceland, cand. jur. 1983
- Part time teaching in Copyright at the Faculty of Law at University of Iceland from 1997
- Examiner in Information Technology Law at University of Iceland from 2004
- Erla S. Árnadóttir (1985). Tölvur og höfundaréttur. Tímarit lögfræðinga, 35(2), 115 – 124.
- Erla S. Árnadóttir (1990). Hugbúnaður: skilyrði og umfang höfundaréttarverndar. Tímarit lögfræðinga, 40(3), 148 – 174.
- Erla S. Árnadóttir (1990). Datenverarbeitung und Urheberrecht in Dänemark – die erste nordische Urheberrchtsnovelle im Vergleich, GRUR International Teil, 39(4), 290 – 299
- Erla S. Árnadóttir (2004). Höfundarréttur og afdrif falsaðra myndlistarverka, Ritið (3), bls. 123 – 135.
- Erla S. Árnadóttir (2015). Developments in Iceland since the XIV Nordic Copyright Symposium in 2015, Nordiskt Immaterialt Rättsskydd, 84(6), 594 – 598
- Peter Schønning, Erla S. Árnadóttir, Torkil V. Rasmussen og Jens Virgar Jakobsen (2016). Strejftog gennem den vestnordiske ophavsret. Nordiskt Immaterialt Rättsskydd, 85(4), 390 – 415
- Erla S. Árnadóttir. (2006). Iceland. In Peter Schimanek og Frank-Rainer Töpfer, Remedies and Public Procurement Laws in Europe. (74 – 79). Berlín: Baker & McKenzie.
- Erla S. Árnadóttir. (2008) Immaterialrettens særlige processformer. In Mads Bryde Andersen og Jonas Christoffersen, Det 38. nordiske Juristmøde i København 21. – 23. august 2008 (343 – 349). Kaupmannahöfn: Den danske styrelse for Det nordiske Juristmøde.
- Erla S. Árnadóttir, Lena Markusardóttir and María Kristjánsdóttir. (2019). Iceland – Health and Pharma Overview. OneTrust DataGuidance database. – https://www.lex.is/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Iceland-Health-and-Pharma-Overview-_-DataGuidance.pdf
- Board of Directors of the Association of Icelandic Lawyers 1989-1991
- Managing Director of the Icelandic Law Journal 1990-1991
- Board of Directors of the Educational fund of Icelandic Bar Association from 1999
- Fjölís (RRO) Arbitration Tribunal 1991-1993
- Board of Copyright Society from
- Board of Society for insurance law 2002 – 2008
- Alternate member of the Board of Directors of the Data Protection Authority 2001 ( – formerly the the Data Protection Commission) – 2004
- Chairman of the Trade Marks and Patent Appeals Committee 1991-2000
- Copyright Committee from 2006 (alternate member from 1995)
- Member of the Compensation Committee established under Act No. 69/1995 on state compensation to victims of crimes 1996 – 2006
- Chairman of Complaints Committee on Equal Status since 2011 (alternative member from 1997)
- Chairman of the Ethics Committee of the the Icelandic Society for Information Processing 1997 – 2009
- Competition Appeals Committee 2000-2009 (alternative member from 1998)
- Alternative member of the board of National Gallery of Iceland 2010 – 2012
- Alternative member of The Icelandic Court Cases Review Commission since 2018